The methodology of comparative evaluation of ruble and foreign currency loans in the pre-crisis period
In the article the author considers a problem of an optimal way of borrowing during the pre-crisis period (deciding between ruble and foreign currency borrowings). It is obvious that during the period of stable economic growth, when currency pair rate (for example, ruble - USA dollar) doesn't change significntly, the lower interest rate of foreign currency loans makes them a cheaper way of borrowing. But during a crisis an abrupt growth of currency pair rate can make foreign currency loan a more expensive way of borrowing (as compared to ruble loan). The author suggests a scenario-based method of decision making about an optimal way of borrowing during a pre-crisis period, which affords to calculate a threshold meaning of currency pair rate, after which a foreign currency loan becomes more expensive. Application of the method is illustrated on the example of a situation in a telecommunication sector in Russian Federation during currency crisis of 2014. A detailed analysis if the situation in the sector in the last pre-crisis year (2013) is provided. Structures of debt burdens of the leading companies (Vimpelcom, MTS and Megafon) are considered. Percent shares of currency loans, shares of borrowing types and according interest rates are provided. In the conclusion of the article some specific aspects of application of suggested method and potential ways of its improvement are considered.
debt burden; bank loan; interest rate; comparative assessment method; threshold value; currency crisis; telecommunication sector; VimpelCom; Megafon; MTS
Чамов Алексей Николаевич. The methodology of comparative evaluation of ruble and foreign currency loans in the pre-crisis period // Современные технологии управления. ISSN 2226-9339. — #4 (64). Номер статьи: 6407. Дата публикации: 24.04.2016. Режим доступа: https://sovman.ru/en/article/6407/
Chamov Aleksey Nikolaevich. // Modern Management Technology. ISSN 2226-9339. — #4 (64). Art. # 6407. Date issued: 24.04.2016. Available at: https://sovman.ru/en/article/6407/
- Antzoulatos A.A., Koufopoulos K., Lambrinoudakis C., Tsiritakis E. Supply of capital and capital structure: The role of financial development // Journal of Corporate Finance, 2016.
- Kavous Ardalan. Capital structure theory: Reconsidered // Research in International Business and Finance, 2016.
- Lia C., Ongena S. Bank loan announcements and borrower stock returns before and during the recent financial crisis // Journal of Financial Stability, 2015. – №21. – P. 1 – 12.
- Demiroglua C., James C. Bank loans and troubled debt restructurings // Journal of Financial Economics, 2015. – №118. – P. 192 – 210.
- Allena J., Paligorova T. Bank loans for private and public firms in a liquidity crunch // Journal of Financial Stability, 2015. – №18. – P. 106 – 116.
- Aivaziana A.V., Qiub J., Rahaman M.M. Bank loan contracting and corporate diversification: Does organizational structure matter to lenders? // Journal of Financial Intermediation, 2015. – №24. – P. 252 – 282.
- Richter A.W. Finite lifetimes, long-term debt and the fiscal limit // Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 2015. – №51. – P. 180 – 203.
- Grobys K., Heinonen J. Is there a credit risk anomaly in FX markets? // Finance Research Letters, 2016.
- Fratzschera M, Königa P.J., Lambert C. Credit provision and banking stability after the great financial crisis: The role of bank regulation and the quality of governance // Journal of International Money and Finance, 2016.
- Iwanicz-Drozdowskaa M., Witkowski B. Credit growth in Central, Eastern, and South-Eastern Europe: The case of foreign bank subsidiaries // International Review of Financial Analysis, 2016. – №43. – P. 146 – 158.